Diabetes type 2 is the most common form of diabetes, affecting 85-90% of all people with diabetes. While it usually affects older adults, younger people are developing type 2 diabetes. This condition is considered to be chronic which means it lasts often for the duration of your life. There is currently no cure for type 2 diabetes.
Type 2 diabetes initially can be managed with healthy eating and regular physical activity. However, over time most people with this condition will also need tablets and many will also need insulin. It is important to note this is a natural progression of this disease, and taking tablets or insulin when required can result in fewer complications in the long term.
Townsville-Mackay Medicare Local (TMML) is conducting a randomised
controlled trial to test a model of care for people with type 2 diabetes
• In-home monitoring through high speed broadband
• Video conferencing with health professionals from home: and
• Access to the Trial’s Diabetes Care Co-ordinator (a diabetes Nurse Educator) to complement normal general practitioner (GP) care.
The primary outcome evaluated will be the effect on your HbA1c results. Other aspects of care will also be assessed including various pathology results, patient and GP satisfaction and the cost effectiveness of the care model. If you agree to be part of the Trial, you will be put into one of two groups.
• Group one (Control) will receive their usual diabetes care through their GP
• Group two (Intervention) will receive their usual diabetes care through their GP PLUS a home monitor with devices to measure their blood sugar and blood pressure.
If you are in this group, you will be shown
how to use the devices and will be supported by a Diabetes Care
Co-ordinator. There is comfort knowing someone else is monitoring your
condition while you gain confidence in managing your health.
Should you wish to participate in this trial please contact your usual GP for further information or the Trial team. Phone 1300 881 892 or email Robin Warren – Project Manager firstname.lastname@example.org or Julie Randall Diabetes Care Coordinator email@example.com
Trial Patient Information Brochure
Better Health Channel Food labels explained
Diabetes and Food – What should I eat?
Diabetes and Exercise – Keeping Active
Swap It Don’t Stop It