Community Rehab NORTHERN QUEENSLAND
Community Rehab northern Queensland is a new and exciting community based rehabilitation service for northern Queensland. It is led by Townsville-Mackay Medical Local as the business and service delivery arm and by James Cook University as the education and research arm.
Its services are designed to meet the needs of people with neurological conditions, such as stroke, brain injury, spinal cord injury, Parkinson’s disease, and Multiple Sclerosis. It can also assist age-related conditions and people living with a disability, that have problems with balance and walking, looking after themselves, and communicating with others.
Community Rehab northern Queensland is located in Townsville at Rowes Bay, and offers its services to people from all over northern Queensland. Community Rehab northern Queensland can offer assistance in contributing towards the cost of transport and accommodation for those utilising its services.
The service can also visit remote communities, such as Mt Isa and Palm Island, if requested.
Community Rehab northern Queensland works closely with JCU to train students. Services are delivered by Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Pathology, Exercise Physiology and Social Worker students under the supervision of qualified health professionals.
The types of programs offered include:
- Balance & mobility groups for robust elderly
- Physical activity groups for people living with a disability e.g. Cerebral Palsy, Polio
- Self management programs for people with progressive diseases e.g. Parkinson’s
- Exercise programs in preparation for elective orthopaedic surgery
- Intensive training following acute events e.g. stroke, brain injury
- Intensive training following multi-trauma or prolonged hospital admission
Long Term Support
- ‘Drive your own recovery’ after stroke - two week intensive training program
- Comprehensive interdisciplinary review & activity program for people living with a disability
Well Being & Life Skills
- Support for participants and/or family and support persons to share experiences, discuss and discover practical strategies for self care/management.
If you, your family or friends would like to come to this service, please telephone 4722 8700.